Thursday, April 1, 2010

Bible Translation by Tribes


Scot McKnight recently (Sept. '09) came right out and said it-- 
We do Bible translations by tribe:

“NRSV for liberals and Shane Claiborne lovers;
ESV for Reformed complementarian Baptists;
HCSB for LifeWay store buying Southern Baptists;
NIV for complementarian evangelicals;
TNIV for egalitarians;
NASB for those who want straight Bible, forget the English;
NLT for generic brand evangelicals;
Amplified for folks who have no idea what translation is but know that if you try enough words one of them will hit pay dirt;
NKJV and KJV for Byzantine manuscript-tree huggers;
The Message for evangelicals looking for a breath of fresh air and seeker sensitive, never-read-a-commentary evangelists who find Peterson’s prose so catchy.”
I think this is funny, insightful, and something that, until I saw it this week, I thought I was among the few that noticed.  I don't know if McKnight meant to be funny or serious, but it goes forth working to prove that sheep seek a flock.  (Now atheists, don't get so haughty; I see the same thing in the types of authors/books people read, which music bands people follow, which websites/blogs people visit, and which 'kind' of science with which people choose to argue/agree.  Humans seek gregarity.)

For the record, I own a copy of each one of these--except the Amplified--and use many at a time seeking to actually get to what the Word is truly saying.  Yesterday, I just picked up a 'Catholic' Bible even.  I find, however, that my daily reader is the HCSB, which seems to me most precise while still reading as smoothly as the newspaper.  My church has landed on the NLT--eh, could be worse.

I quite like people--it's why I am in ministry--but have typically been averse to stereotypes about me or by me (however, I submit that anyone who says they don't stereotype/generalize is a liar).  We all wish to be seen as an individual, but then we want to be a part of a group...it's sorta paradoxical, eh?

But I still don't like the Message.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anonymous users are allowed to leave comments and questions. Keep in mind that this is in keeping with the Principles of Reality, i.e. Christianity, that doesn't hide from any critique or questions. Please keep it respectful for others' sake--in other words, treat others how you would like to be treated. Thank you for your thoughts!