Sunday, February 14, 2010

My Marriage Proposal


It was Saturday morning, Oct. 1, 2005. My not-yet wife and I decided to go for a run out at St. Johns University, a nearby private men's college--her alma mater is the women's college St. Ben's, under the same leadership. There is a nearly-perfect forest trail that meanders around Lake Sagatagan to get to Stella Maris Chapel, built nearly a century ago; fall was in the air. The trail from St. Johns Abbey (on campus, world famous architecture) to the chapel is about a mile and a half. Whenever I run the trail, I envision the monks, or whoever built it, pushing wheel-barrow loads of brick, cement, roof shingles, and what-not along this root-and-stone pocked trail to get to the building site--it is a lovely, serene place. It is one of my favorite runs to do with her since there is a break half way--a pause at the chapel is mando before turning back to the car--and three miles is all I want to do. On this day, however, I had a special treat planned for the rest at Stella Maris--tied into my shoelace was a solitaire ring. I tied it well 'cause I did not plan on losing it!

So as we run along the trail, my thoughts accelerate the closer we get to the chapel: "What would I say? How should I make this special and memorable? Should I just make it simple...? Nah! She deserves more!" Although I had purchased this ring months before, I am literally freaking out, trying to plan what to do--I had only come up with this idea this morning!

You see, I wanted to make the Proposal a special thing for her (well, us, I suppose). We were both in youth ministry at the time, and I had come up with a variety of ideas: from asking the kids to file out one-by-one each holding a rose and hand them to her with me following as the last with the Proposal, to doing it in a sweet dinner date that I had prepared, to hanging the ring from a kite and taking her out to a ball-field where the ring would slide down the string and hit her in the hand! I wanted to be unique. The fact is, my wife is NOT an extrovert; she would not thrive under the social pressure of my preferred idea. So when this morning she suggested we go for a run, the idea popped into my head to do it at the chapel on Lake Sagatagan...but I had no words to say!

When we got to the chapel, I had come up with some lines that, frankly, I don't remember today. They had something to do with 'a lifetime,' and how 'events work together for good even though we can't understand how become such a beautiful picture' or maybe how 'two lives meet in God's timing'...something along those lines. I am on one knee untying my shoe and I am lovingly speaking these things to her. I look up, and she is not even paying attention!! She is completely distracted by the bark on the tree we are standing next to, picking at the layers: "wow...look at the layers! Aren't they beautiful?" Meanwhile, I am pouring out my heart to this awesome woman!

When I finally get the ring out I look up, reach out, and take her left hand from the tree. I am still on one knee; I look up into her eyes when she then looks down and it hits her! Her right hand smacks her open mouth while she says, "Oh my! This is it!" I have the requisite question on my lips as I slide the ring onto her finger and she begins to weep. I stand up and we tightly embrace.

The jog back, interrupted by several spontaneous hugs along the way, was like running on air. I really do not remember much of it except that we both wept tears of joy at several points. Life from that day forward had a new shine. The most important part of that day for me was when she shared the letter her mother wrote for her--she wrote one for each of the three siblings--before she passed away from cancer in 1991.

The ring that she now wears contains the same diamond her mother wore. It was, and still is, a special day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anonymous users are allowed to leave comments and questions. Keep in mind that this is in keeping with the Principles of Reality, i.e. Christianity, that doesn't hide from any critique or questions. Please keep it respectful for others' sake--in other words, treat others how you would like to be treated. Thank you for your thoughts!