Friday, March 26, 2010

Analog TV

Here in central Minnesota, there are still analog television signals broadcast.  Well, there is at least one of which I know--it is a little station, and my buddy turned me on to it today.  I don't get it here at home because I don't have access to an old-style antenna but he seems to when he unplugs his digital box.  The cool thing is that my buddy--we'll call him Mark--does not believe in the same Christ that I do; nope, he is not a Christian--Mark likes his well, we'll call them vices, too much.



Now what's peculiar about the television station is that it plays Les Feldick.  It broadcasts all "Les", all the time.  It plays his sessions in 2 hours time slots--composed of 4 half-hour programs--24 hours a day, 7 days a week.  For those who've never heard of him, he is a Bible teacher from Oklahoma; he sits on a stool in front of a chalkboard with a room of like-haired people (what I mean is, wise-colored hair).  Evidently Les is a retired rancher- turned Gospel minister and self-proclaimed "regular Bible teacher."  He'll be the first to tell you he's no theologian.  But that's the best part--the man just knows his Bible.  "Les", as Mark calls him, has such a high view of Scripture that he will exposit a passage for the full half-hour, traveling through a variety of Biblical passages to support the doctrine.  He was in 1 John 5 the whole time I watched today.  (I only disagreed with his eschatological viewpoints, but that is secondary, eh?  Heck, I disagree with my own pastor about the end-times, so that means little.)


Mark invited me over for the afternoon to watch some "Les".  Since I have shared my faith with Mark several times, I coveted the opportunity to go have some Bible study with him--and on his initiation!?  We had a great time, too!  In my view, this little tv station pumping out Gospel teaching is the Power of God Himself.  That Mark, again a guy who is in his early twenties and likes his women, drinking, and smokes--all kinds--is about ready to become a Christian is a testament that Feldick has chosen a method that works.  Preach the Good News without ceasing.  Do it again, and again, and again.  Right away, I was struck by the simple message that Feldick repeatedly emphasized--he brought up 1 Corinthians 15:1-8 many times in the 3 hours I watched.  Feldick teaches the Gospel and is passionate about the Gospel (now, there are nearly fifteen years of teachings on his website, and Mark tells me that he has seen a huge variety of discussions.  Mark even showed me his Bible with notes!  I guess I just came on the day that the Gospel, or Good News, was preached.  Coincidence?  I think not; between half-hours, the television station puts up a screen that says something like, "You are not here by accident, we believe God brought you here."  I agree!).

Mark says he is "almost there" and it is the Power of God by His Holy Spirit.  We are told in Scripture that no one believes on the Messiah without the Holy Spirit.  Mark believes that God sent His Son.  I am still able to help out in my small part and I left Mark with an admonition that we are not guaranteed tomorrow.  If you would, can you pray for Mark with me?  Pray that God will grant him the strength to be weak, turning it over to God.

Romans 10:10
With the heart one believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth one confesses, resulting in salvation. (HCSB)

1 Corinthians 15
 1 Let me now remind you, dear brothers and sisters, of the Good News I preached to you before. You welcomed it then, and you still stand firm in it. 2 It is this Good News that saves you if you continue to believe the message I told you—unless, of course, you believed something that was never true in the first place. 3 I passed on to you what was most important and what had also been passed on to me. Christ died for our sins, just as the Scriptures said. 4 He was buried, and he was raised from the dead on the third day, just as the Scriptures said. 5 He was seen by Peter and then by the Twelve. 6 After that, he was seen by more than 500 of his followers at one time, most of whom are still alive, though some have died. 7 Then he was seen by James and later by all the apostles. 8 Last of all, as though I had been born at the wrong time, I also saw him. (NLT)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anonymous users are allowed to leave comments and questions. Keep in mind that this is in keeping with the Principles of Reality, i.e. Christianity, that doesn't hide from any critique or questions. Please keep it respectful for others' sake--in other words, treat others how you would like to be treated. Thank you for your thoughts!